Sunday, January 5, 2014

Galaxy Note 8 Sketching Bliss

            Okay, so the aformentioned huge thing that happened in my drawing life is this: a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 inch tablet.  It's an Android tablet that has a pressure-sensitive stylus developed by Wacom.  It's really changed how I sketch while I'm out.  Most people probably prefer Sketchbook Pro to draw on tablets with, but I'm actually partial to Adobe Photoshop Touch.  The brush options aren't nearly as robust, but the selection and editing tools far outclass Sketchbook Pro's.  I need my Lasso tool!  Plus, I appreciate the Creative Cloud connectivity.  

            There's tons of effects this has had on my sketching.  Undoing mistakes is so obvious it needs no explanation.  Taking portions of my drawing and having the freedom to resize and otherwise transform them without affecting the rest of the drawing is great.  Sketching with layered files allows me to separate elements.  One really major thing is being able to work in volumes and areas, not just line, allowing me to work subtractively - something impossible in any physical media while mobile.  I've been drawing about 1000% more since I've gotten it, and my abilities are growing as a result.  I recommend it for anyone who wants a great way to sketch while out and about and wants more functionality than a Moleskine.

            I'm putting up some vehicles and mecha sketches that I've done on my tablet - pretty fun stuff!  The blue speeder is a great example of working subtractively to achieve a form rather than using line.





No comments: