Saturday, June 25, 2011

(in)formal Show - Part 4

            Finally - the last part of this series on my show I had (last fall already!  Jeez!)


            Anyway:


"A while back I made an interactive drawing that was Flash-based, and I just wanted to represent it here, although it ultimately fails in this relatively less temporal and interactive format.  The idea was that will (expressed by a string of “high-energy naked singularities” - sorry for the nerdspeak) is moved around the screen with the mouse in real time, and then the parts of the corporeal body follow it, albeit sluggishly and with a delay, from the center mass and eventually out to the wings and talons - the extremities."
            I actually put the interactive version of this up (had to do some digging in old files) for you to check out.  It's pretty crappy, and it gets broken a lot (like if you move the mouse out of the window a lot, sometimes body parts get stuck), but in my defense, I whipped it up really quickly one night for a drawing show at Art Crating, Inc.  http://www.k-foo.com/will.html


"This is a sample of the book I’m working on.  We see Kelly (or Kel, as she prefers to be called) and P just hanging out on her roof.  There’s a lot of dialogue, but I didn’t do the lettering yet.  But, see?  P’s just a normal guy!"
            A lot of my friends know about this "comic book" I'm "working on", which is slowly becoming this imaginary friend everyone just humors me about.  Well, here's actual proof that the project does, indeed, exist.  This page is actually further along than this now, but this is how it looked at the time of the show.


"Here’s some portraits of other characters in my book series (titled NORN).  These are the most developed portraits I had available, and it so happens that they were portraits I did for skateboard deck designs I’d like to make.  I don’t know if you can see it, but i tried to make the smoke trail a common element in all of them.  anyway, Kel is smoking, as usual, Ren, the girl with the gun, is just a gun nut, not a criminal, though that line tends to blur with her....  She’s probably just in her backyard shooting off her M1911 for kicks.  And P seems to be up to his reality-bending shenanigans again."
            This is a little misleading - the portraits and designs I have are actually in full color, but this was a black and white show, so I just kept with the theme.  A while back I had this fantasy of having a store on boardpusher.com and having my friends put their artwork on decks and sell them online.  Long story short, i lack the HTML/CSS technical know-how to make the site look good (the default templates are pretty crappy looking), so I kind of gave up on it.  Yet another failed attempt at trying to integrate myself into skateboard culture.

            I remember being 12, and starting to skateboard, and shortly afterwards moving to rural PA, where I lived on a dirt road.  My skateboarding career ended there.  Ever since, I always kind of felt bad about missing out on the whole skateboarding experience - I feel like it's linked to so many things I care about aesthetically, but it ended up being this club I could never join.  A parallel story happened with graffiti - I started drawing those "S" things and some Keith-Haring-looking dudes around, but in PA, it seems kind of futile to draw on trees with paint markers.  So I missed out on that whole thing, too.  I find myself trying to emulate that street aesthetic in my work, but I ultimately fail - I just have to accept that as much as I'm a city kid, as much as I love that stuff, it's still a foreign part of my visual vocabulary.  And now here I am, at 31, going out in the middle of the night to teach myself to skateboard.  Pretty sad.


"I’ve never done a drawing of a horse before this, and I have to say, I was pretty pleased with the result.  It’s been my fantasy for a long time now to break away on horseback across the Mongolian steppe, wielding a weapon (for what purpose the weapon is being wielded, I don’t really know).  The secondary fantasy is to make a video game about it."
            The idea for the game that this might exist in is to recreate the sense of wonder that comes with simply moving from one place to another.  Big, open spaces, cities of wonder, seeing a landmark on the horizon and being able to ride to it, things like that.  Games rarely feel vast anymore - there's always some invisible wall to keep you in a narrative.  Which is fine - I understand people complain about games being "too open", but I think it's time for a shift - games need to start rewarding things like creativity and imagination, not just resource management, pattern recognition, rote memorization, and manual dexterity.  And more steeds.


"I’m thinking of doing a children’s book, and this is the first sketch I did for the main character.  The character is a doll come to life.  The story is about how the doll is separated from its owner, and subsequently becomes lost.  In the world of the story, when loved things are lost, they are taken to a fantastic realm, and that is the place where the doll comes to life and tries to make its way home again.  For as long as I can remember, I could never deal with loss very well.  To this day, I’ve made little progress on that front - my mind simply refuses to accept it.  So I’d rather make a world where the things we all miss are trying to find us."
            I remember being little, and my parents taking me to a beach, and I had a beach ball.  I was playing with it in the water, and got distracted and got out of the water to play in the sand or eat a sandwich or something.  It came time to leave, and I looked around for my beach ball, and saw it out in the ocean, a tiny dot floating out towards the horizon.  Of course, we had to leave it - it was impossible to swim out that far to retrieve it.  I remember screaming and bawling my eyes out - it was there, I could see it, but it was gone, forever.  I think I cried the whole way home.  (My poor parents - I was such a nutcase.)  I still think about that beach ball sometimes.  I wonder how far it got before getting popped by some errant seagull, bleached pure white - or maybe it made its way to that giant plastic continent in the middle of the pacific, among other lost things.

No comments: