Sunday, December 19, 2010

I 'Do Art' - Part 4: On Innovation

The way of the future.


            In the last part of this series (finally - I know we all want to move on), and hopefully the shortest (double-thankfully), I'd like to briefly touch on the relationship between innovations in technology and the arts.

            There's really not much I can say on this that TED.com hasn't thoroughly done so already, so I'd like to just add my two cents to the vast moneypot that is TED.  Like the printing press to the written word, like digital manipulation to film, and yes, like multi-colored pens to squid drawings, innovations in technology have driven innovations in the arts since forever.  This works the other way around as well - the aforementioned innovations were a result of creative impulses needing to be met.  The byproducts of these reactions gave rise to uses nobody ever expected.

            I know none of this is news to you.  So why bother saying it?  Because I'm using this idea to illustrate my faith in innovation to bring us to heights of cosmic scale:

            Art and tech are like two cranes tag-team lifting each other to build the next tower of Babel - one we may never finish, but nevertheless one we can't help but build, especially now that language is no longer a barrier between us (take THAT, God - you jerk).  It may collapse in on itself, but life will survive, hopefully learn from the flaws of the previous design, and start again.  Until we (maybe not as the organisms we are now, but as living beings nonetheless) get it right.

No comments: